Chocolate Whiskey

For the Whiskey Lover in you!  Chocolate and whiskey, separately are two wonderful flavors but together create a synergistic symphony on your palette. These cupcakes were a hit and most importantly my husband LOVED them!  After twisting his arm he reluctantly accepted the task of testing my new line of Alcoholic Cupcakes - or Cupcake Cocktails, haven't decided what to call them.  My first recipe to try: Chocolate Whiskey Cupcakes and let me tell you, they were AMAZING!

The chocolate cake recipe was pretty basic. The cupcakes came out of the oven tasting SUPER moist and very soft! I almost wanted to stop there because they were so good.  However, there wasn't a drop of whiskey in the actual cupcake so I had to continue on.  The next phase of the recipe called to make a whiskey simple syrup, finally the good stuff.  For those of you who don't bake often simply syrup is a syrup made by cooking 1 part water and 1 part sugar until the sugar dissolves.  This is then used by bakers to brush onto the cake before decorating to moisten the cake.  I don't personally use simple syrup very often, my cakes are usually moist enough and to make it any moister the cake would not hold up.  The whiskey simple syrup was then brushed over each cupcake to allow the whiskey flavor to soak into the cupcake. YUM! 

The cupcakes were almost ready and I had to keep my hubby away from the cupcakes until I could finish the icing. Most of my cakes use a butter cream icing, it seems to be the best tasting and the favorite! This icing recipe was definitely not butter cream but used a lot of butter. The eggs where whipped into a frenzy and then I cooked sugar and water until soft-ball stage and slowly added the thickened syrup to the eggs. A whole lotta butter later it was time to add the whiskey. Four tablespoons of whiskey in the icing, but it was just the right amount. The subtle whiskey flavoring in the icing was a perfect compliment to the chocolate cake. All in all, it was so yummy!  This recipe has been tested and tried and approved for Sugar Rush's Cupcake Cocktails.  Up next Jack and Coke cupcakes.  Yummy Never Looked So Good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment